Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Yay! Small victory!

First, some background: I have recently been diagnosed with spondyloarthritis. For several years I have had sometimes-agonizing pain in my left hip, and have had several incorrect diagnoses and ineffective treatments. It's pretty much been a nightmare, and I'm lucky I didn't lose my last job because of the time I had to take off. I am now on medication that seems to be helping but I don't want to rely on it for the rest of my life. In order to get myself back into good health, my doctor has suggested that I pursue physical therapy, stretches, light workouts (such as walking in the pool), and just good old rest and stress relief. Many of you may know just how difficult it is to fit all that into your work schedule, especially when you have already taken a ton of time off for various doctor appointments, etc. In order to get my body into a healthy state, and also so that I wouldn't be taking a ton more time off from work, I felt that having some flexibility in my work schedule would be helpful. I concocted a plan and talked to my boss about it, making sure to point out how this can be a win-win situation for both him and I. My basic proposal was:
1. I will work Monday-Friday from 8:00 am - 2:3o pm, which is 32.5 hours a week.
2. I will be able to work all day if the operations manager is scheduled to be out, so that I can cover her.
3. I will be paid at the same hourly rate, but only for the number of hours I work (thus saving my boss money). I will retain my health insurance and other benefits (sick days and vacation time).
4. I will be available by phone after 2:30 pm for urgent matters.
5. I will be responsible for the same duties I have always done, and will complete the same amount of work in 6.5 hours per day (this is totally doable right now, besides I've been bored out of my mind since we have been a little slower than usual for the past couple of months).
6. This is only going to be a temporary situation, until I regain my health.
7. We will re-evaluate after a couple of weeks to make sure it is working for him and the company as well as for me.

Armed with this list, I proposed it to him and gave him ample time (over a week) to think about it. He agreed today to let me try it! I'm so happy and appreciative that he is willing to try it out. My goal is to prove to him (and myself!) that this will not be detrimental in any way. In fact, by allowing me this flexibility, I am even more determined to be a valuable, productive employee. I will be very careful not to squander this precious opportunity!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

yay to my 90 year old sister getting to leave at 2:30 to hang out in a pool!!! ;o) Just kidding. I'm glad he said yes.

CoffellC said...

Did you give this to him in writing?