Monday, March 24, 2008

Cooking!

I love to cook, and now that I am unemployed (hopefully not for too long though), I have tons of time for it. Therefore, this week I will be cooking:

1. 'Meat'loaf & mashed potatoes - yumm, comfort food! I made this tonight. The weather is *just* chilly enough for it. I used ground turkey mixed with Smart Ground (vegetable protein crumbles). Added in some seasonings, some Italian bread crumbs, an egg, and topped with a thin layer of ketchup. It's great!

2. Cuban black beans - in an effort to save money on groceries, I am attempting to buy more bulk foods - rice, dry beans, bulk oats... For this recipe, the beans are soaked overnight and the next day are simmered with onions, bell peppers, and chopped jalapenos. I might add a little bit of Rotel. Serve over rice. Simple, healthy, tasty!

3. Jamaican Jerk Chicken - my mom brought me a bunch of packages of organic chicken leg quarters. She gets to the grocery store super early and gets first pick of all the reduced-for-quick-sale meats. She always picks me up some organic chicken leg quarters or thighs, and boy am I ever grateful! I mixed up some jerk marinade and the chicken is marinating in it. I will probably serve this with yellow rice with peas.

4. Homemade Granola - this super recipe will make me breakfast all week long! I'll post the recipe tomorrow, you'll love it!

And now, with bellies full and eyes droopy, we are headed to bed...zzzzzzzzzzzz....

No comments: