Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Pasta alfredo with spinach and onions

Since I can't think of much to say (not that I don't have anything to talk about, I just can't make my fingers put into words what my brain is thinking) I decided to post a recipe for you. Yum, lucky you! Here is my creation (and I sure hope you cook like me, otherwise this 'recipe' will drive you crazy!)

Half an organic onion, cut into thin (but not paper-thin) strips
Some (or a lot of) garlic cloves
Some organic spinach (I like baby spinach leaves)
Some organic pasta (I used penne but would have preferred fettucine)
Organic Alfredo sauce in a jar, or Alfredo mix (I used Simply Organic brand from Whole Foods)

Start boiling water for the pasta. When it boils, add pasta. Meanwhile, saute the onion until almost carmelized; add in chopped or minced garlic and the spinach. Cook til spinach is wilty. In a 3rd pot (unless you are more efficient or less messy than I, and then you can figure out a way to reuse one of the other pots) start heating up/making the sauce. Drain the pasta, put it back in the big pot, then add in the spinach and onion mixture, stir together. Pour the sauce over this and stir some more. Sprinkle on some freshly-grated Parmesan. Serve with some crusty bread and some wine. Salad if you want. You can always say the spinach in the pasta was your 'greens'. Eat. Yumm!

P.S. I think you could also use mushrooms in there, or maybe a few chopped green onions. Let me know how ya like it!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Why didn't you just add the alfredo to the onion pan? And, I just noticed that photo below is really pixelated...did you use my camera to take that?

Lady J said...

yep, it was your camera! I uploaded to photobucket and had to resize it smaller, so maybe that's when it happened? I'm photo-tarded. lol! Um I guess you could add the sauce to the pan if you were using jar sauce, but the mix I used you have to boil milk and butter, then whisk in the powder mix, so it wouldn't work to add it to the onions. I suck at sauces so I didn't want to risk it.