Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Best Bruschetta

I made the Best Bruschetta Ever last night!! OMG it was so good I am still in heaven! I've attempted bruschetta before, but not until last night did I finally get it right. Here's what I did:

I used Artisan-style Roasted Garlic french bread, sliced thin (probably 1/4", I bought it in the bakery section). Butter each side of the bread, place it on a cookie sheet, and put in the oven at 350 degrees until it's toasty (not burned!) on each side. You want it to be really toasty before you put the topping on, so that it doesn't get soggy.

Make the topping: dice a tomato, remove the watery seedy part. Take some fresh basil leaves and chiffonade them. Splash a little bit of balsamic vinegar (a very little bit! again, we want to avoid soggy bruschetta!) over the tomatoes and basil, grind some sea salt over it. Using a fork (so that you don't spoon excess liquid on), put some of the mixture on top of each slice of toasty bread. Put it in the oven, under the broiler, just until the tomatoes start to brown. Take out of oven, turn off oven, put some fresh mozzarella on top and let it melt.


I'm sure there are other ways to do this, I have no idea if this is a 'traditional' way of making bruschetta, but whatever, it was great! Enjoy!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

maybe you can invite your adorable little sister over the next time you make the best bruschetta ever :o)